Monday, September 3, 2007

A Chat with Bob from New Delhi

Disclaimer: Against the sage advice of PlaceMatt & ElMol (well known Techies from Cowtown) I purchased an HP Computer Sunday. There were several factors involved in the purchase the most important being that I get it right away as my WW (wonderful wife) was on call and needed the computer tout de suite.



Well, yesterday I went out and purchased a new HP computer. The old PC got burnt up on power outage at the house on Wednesday. Time was of the essence (see disclaimer below) and the normally long thought out process (sometimes agonizing, eh Rick?) was shortened considerably. Rick was on stand by for emergency purposes if the purchasing process went south.


The new PC has Microsoft's Vista platform........word is and I can confirm.......it is a work in progress and is undergoing changes/upgrades as I blog. If you notice that I have stopped this entry.....I am sure I will be able to pick it up later when everything is upgraded.



Now, to the chat with Bob. Having to reload software programs to a new computer is time consuming, but, nonetheless essential. Quicken is my method of tracking my finances, in particular, my checkbook (which is virtually non-existent with the advent of online banking). But, the format does give me an accurate picture of how much money I do not have.


Problems during the downloading of the program resulted in me calling the Quicken support hot line. "Bob" answered....OK it wasn't really Bob.......but, a very nice gentleman who is in New Delhi? He directed me through the process which took a good 30 minutes of uninstalling, installing, and reinstalling programs. He was quite patient with me. It is at times like this that I feel technologically inadequate. What was really interesting about the call is that there were long periods of time where we waited for parts of the installation process to take place and Bob talked to me during this "down time". Topics of discussion included my breakfast (he didn't know about biscuits), spicy food, movies, and favorite sports. While it sounded somewhat from script (i.e. - during the first "down time" ask the customer about his/her interest in spicy foods, be sure to mention Curry) and yet maybe it was his way of just getting through the arduous process without being bored. I want to believe that it was just Bob talking to "Coach" (can I call you "Coach"? he had asked). Overall, it was a nice experience and after he wished me a good day and a wonderful breakfast a phone survey asked me to quantify my experience with Bob. I rated him 7 on a scale of 1 to 7 with 7 being the best.



Halfway around the world I had breakfast with Bob while he had a late night snack. Cue: Its a small, small world.



Viva Bob
Viva the 20.5 Widescreen Monitor

Peace Out

No comments: