Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Say Cheese!

Ok, so about two years ago my wonderful wife and I agreed to purchase a new digital camera. I had a 1st generation type that took pretty good pictures, but, it was time to upgrade. WW declared a need to have a camera with a big monitor screen (bms) on the back of the camera. Her friend had one with the bms and she liked it. A phone call to Lakeside Camera (no they didn't carry her friend's camera type anymore, but) resulted in a recommendation of a Casio Exilim Camera....bms and a high resolution of 7.2 megapixels.

Purchased the product and began using it with much satisfaction. 2 years in and on our trip to Lake Tahoe.....kapooy.....streaks in the pics....and/or very bright (too, too bright) pics. Big pink sign in the camera box DO NOT RETURN THIS CAMERA TO THE RETAILER (aka Circuit City). Mailed product according to instructions to Casio in New Jersey.

Letter from Casio.....cost to fix your camera $134.78 plus $7.95 p&h........further down the letter.........however, if you choose to you can purchase a RECONDITIONED camera.....3 possibilities available all in the same price range......from various price ranges......all coincidentally near $134.78 plus $7.95. So, we opt to move up to a thinner (called Card) model with similar features for the price of $135.00 plus $7.95.

In makes me wonder.....what does Casio have going with this deal? I will have to get back with you for that answer....will the camera last only another 2 years? or more? or will they offer another upgrade at some time? what about a 4th generation camera?

All this has me thinking back to a Christmas purchase I made for my WW from the Pottery Barn catalog.........one of the articles I purchased came ever so slightly damaged. I called to get a new item and did......here was the kicker.......the customer service rep when asked by me if I needed to return the original item stated that I could keep it......apparently whatever item I had purchased was not worth their time and effort to return/restock/fix, etc.....this happened on two different occasions! Questions: How much did those things cost?...apparently not much.....How much was I paying for them?......eh....Pottery Barn.....apparently too much.

Spend Wisely,
Peace Out

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you spell Canon?????

Charles "Tiger" Edwards said...

M O N E Y, like Lloyd has $$$$$$.