Friday, August 8, 2008

International Marvel...........Traffic Nightmare



Yes, it is the longest bridge in the world.......and an International Marvel. People from all over the Earth come to see it.........last night after dinner with friends, the first quarter of the Saints game, and a short stop at Lakeside......Cindy and I found ourselves about 21 miles across the North bound lane.......at a stand still.......about 1/2 mile ahead a double wreck.............an emergency vehicle........came up the middle of the two lanes.......time went by......and by......and by.......and by.......get the picture?...........thought in my head (Gee I have got to take a leak, bad)...........battle through I told myself.........time went by.....time went by.........one hour and thirty minutes..........I gotta go...................Cindy approaches...........her words.....I gotta go......yikes both of us...................people all around.........they are talking about how they gotta go...................help.............open the back door of the car....open the front door.......get Cindy to stand toward the back........pretty much everyone's lights are out......................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........relief.......time goes by.........police approach and ask us to turn around drive back to the last cross over and go back the South bound side...................we followed their instructions..........took I-10 to Slidell........then to I-12 to Mandeville.........Trip statistics: on bridge at 8:30pm home in Mandeville 12 midnight (should have been 9pm).
The last part of the trip was one in which we spent a lot of time laughing, because you see I thought to myself (shut up), if I had to pee, how many others had to pee, so when we turned around and drove the 3 miles back to the cross over we were sure to look out for the "wet" spots on the side of the road.......there were very many......the laughing got louder with each discovery.....on both sides of the lanes.
I was somewhat disappointed, at first, that Cindy would not give up her travel coffee cup as a reservoir, in the end I did not need it. Coffee cup saved.
In the end, one might say, that I, yes I, have left my mark on the GNOEC.
Viva GNOEC, Greater New Orleans Expressway Commission
Viva Cindy
Peace Upon You

No comments: